Learn to swim
We offer a range of swimming lessons across Active Moreland facilities that provide each child and adult with the opportunity to make safe aquatic choices. Our swimming lessons focus on safety first, with particular attention focused on teaching techniques that may one day save a life.
You or your child can participate in a range of aquatic experiences and become a confident swimmer who is inspired to participate in aquatic activities throughout your lives. Learning to swim prepares you or your child with vital survival skills not just for the pool but for rivers, lakes and the ocean and around water.
Active Moreland programs run over 44 weeks throughout the year, designed to allow students to become more proficient and safe in and around the water. Swimming lessons are held during the school term as well as during holiday periods. There is no re-enrolment process as your booking is conveniently rolled over each term.
We offer swimming lessons at four of our centres:
2022 Swimming lessons calendar:
Our teachers are AUSTSWIM accredited and provide a safe, social and encouraging learning environment. Our teachers hold nationally accredited qualifications and hold current Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and first aid certificates. They regularly undergo training and professional development workshops. All Active Moreland staff also complete training in safeguarding children and young people and possess Working with Children and Criminal Record checks.
Regardless of your ability, age, cultural background, fears or phobias – there is a class just for you. We pride ourselves on being inclusive and accessible.
We have a range of swimming lessons to suit all abilities – take a look at our options below.
Fees and payment
The below prices apply across all swimming levels. Payment is taken fortnightly by direct debit, with the total cost spread out across the year.
Swimming lessons are 30 minutes in length.
Squad lessons at Brunswick Baths run for either 45, 60, or 75 minutes.
Level Per lesson cost Fortnightly direct debit Swimming lesson (child / adult) $19.45 $32.90 Swimming lesson (additional sibling) $17.50 $29.60 Swimming lesson (concession) $14.50 $24.60 Swimming lesson (special needs) $21.90 $37.05 Private swimming lesson (child / adult) $48.55 $82.20 Private swimming lesson (concession) $36.45 $61.70 2 x squad swimming lessons (child / adult) $29.10 $49.25 2 x squad swimming lessons (concession) $21.90 $37.05
Direct debit swimming lessons members enjoy:
- unlimited access to your pool outside of lesson times;
- access to Active Moreland's seasonal outdoor pools;
- access to eight make-up lessons per calendar year;
- online parent portal 'SwimDesk' (providing assessment results and child’s progress);
- no re-enrolment process;
- swimming bookings online.
Make-up lesson policy
If you’re unable to make your regular lesson, you can book in for a make-up class pending availability. Each currently enrolled student is eligible to eight make-up classes per calendar year to use at your leisure.
Terms and conditions surrounding make up lessons are as follows.
- Once all eight make-up lasses are used no additional can be requested. Additionally, make-up lessons cannot be booked after a membership has been cancelled / the last lesson has been attended.
- If your regular class falls on a public holiday, you have the option of booking a make-up lesson in lieu of your regular lesson as a credit is not offered for public holidays .
- If you are unable to attend your regular lesson, you must notify us by phone prior to that start of that lesson so we can temporarily cancel you from that class on that particular day. This enables another student to book into that spot for a make-up lesson.
- Make-up lessons can only be booked within seven days of the intended make-up class. For example: if you ring on a Monday to organise a make-up lesson, you can book in on that day (Monday) through until Sunday of the same week.
- If a make-up lesson is missed, the lesson is forfeited as make up lessons are unable to be cancelled and re-booked.
Absence request form
We understand that sometimes you may have to miss a swimming lesson, so we've created this form that you can use to let us know if this is the case. As a member, each swimmer enrolled in a lesson is eligible to eight make-up lessons per calendar year.
Fill in the relevant form to inform us of you or your child’s absence request; we will then be in touch to arrange a make-up lesson.
Terms and conditions
Download our swimming lessons terms and conditions.
Watch Around Water guidelines
Active Moreland facilities are an accredited Watch Around Water Facility. The Water Around Water guidelines have been developed by Aquatics & Recreation Victoria and Life Saving Victoria to educate the public about adequate supervision and to encourage parent / guardians to take on this responsibility when visiting a public aquatic facility. Therefore, the following safe supervision policies must be adhered to.
Children under 5 years old
- Children will be issued a pink wristband from reception upon entry.
- Children under 5 years old must be constantly supervised by a parent/guardian.
- Adequate supervision requires the parent/guardian to accompany the child in the water and remain within arm's reach of the child at all times.
- Parent to child ratio: 1 parent to 2 children (babies in prams included in this ratio).
Children under 10 years old
- Will be issued a yellow wristband from reception upon entry.
- Children under 10 years old will not be admitted without an appropriate parent / guardian.
- The parent/guardian must be 16 years or over and adhere to all conditions of entry.
- Children under 10 years old must be constantly supervised by a parent/guardian while in the aquatic area of the centre.
- The parent/guardian must position himself or herself to have a clear view of the child with no physical or structural barriers between them and the child.
- Parent to child ratio: 1 parent to 4 children.
Children 10 years and older
- For children 10 years and older, parents must use their knowledge of the child's swimming ability to determine the level of supervision required.
- Parent /guardians are not required to be present in the centre.
Here are some facts you need to be aware of:
- The supervision of children in aquatic facilities is not the sole responsibility of lifeguards.
- Lifeguards are employed on a 1:100 ratio; this is based on the expectation that parents will provide direct supervision of child.
- Parents are required to provide the constant and direct supervision needed for young children.
For further information on water safety go to: